Question: What licenses can I apply to materials in UltraViolet? What license do you recommend?


We require depositors to select a license for all materials they upload to UltraViolet. By assigning a license to your work, you enable others to use it: the license tells others what they can and can't do with your work. You can select from a broad range of license options. We don't recommend a specific license because it's up to you to decide how you want other people to use your research. For example, do you want to allow commercial use of your materials?

If you aren’t sure where to start, take a look at the spectrum of options from Creative Commons (for everything that isn’t code). If you are depositing code, you can learn more about open source licenses at TLDR Legal or Choose a License.

If you have any questions or want to talk through the options more, contact us at

Answered By: Talya Cooper
Last Updated: Aug 08, 2023Views:

Related Topics

Contact Us

JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Visit a reference desk
Make an appointment       
Text (NY): 646-265-1342     

New York: +1 212-998-2500
Abu Dhabi: +971 02-628-5544
Shanghai: +86 (21) 2059-5614